The Cape Fear Workforce Development Consortium (CFWDC) is an association of the four counties of Region O – Brunswick, Columbus, New Hanover and Pender to provide employment and training activities under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) of 1998. The Workforce Investment Act provides funds to address the employment and training needs of adults, dislocated workers and youth. The Act provides for the delivery of services through the one-stop JobLink Career Center service delivery system. This system is customer focused for both employers and job seekers. WIA provides for:
- Streamlining of services through the establishment of the One Stop Career Centers
- The empowerment of individuals through information and access to training resources
- Universal access to core employment related services
- Increased accountability for results
- A strong role for the Cape Fear Workforce Development Board and the private sector in the workforce investment system
- Facilitating state and local flexibility; and
- Improving youth programs by linking more closely to local labor market needs and community youth programs; and by emphasizing strong connections between academic and occupational learning.